Examining ruby rough.
- Lifetime Member of the Alumni Association of the Gemological Institute of America (G.I.A.)
- Senior Member of the National Association of Jewelry Appraisers (NAJA)
- Founder Member of the International Colored Gemstone Association (ICA)
- Former Vice Chairman of Kenya Gemstone Dealers Association (KENGEM)
- Founding Chairman and committee member of The Kenya Chamber of Mines, registered July 2000.
Publications and Lectures:
- Gems and Gemology. 1974, G.I.A. quarterly publication. “Discovery of Tsavorite”.
- Gemological Institute of America. Guest Speaker (when available) since 1975.
- International Geologists Conference. April 1980. “Kenya Geology”. (Asked by the Kenyan Mines and Geological Dept. to give lectures on Kenyan gem geology and alluvial gold mining.)
- Tucson Gem and Mineral Show, 1981. Lecture on, “East African Gems”.
- In 1982, Mr. Bridges lectured at the Gemological Institute of America’s first International Gemological Symposium. His lecture, “Gemstones of East Africa”, is published in their book, International Gemological Symposium, Proceedings 1982.
- In 1983 Mr. Bridges was invited to lecture at the Precious Stones Congress in Tel Aviv, Israel. His subject was “Tsavorite and Tanzanite”.
- Completed joint article with Dr. Edward Gubelin of Switzerland and Professor Grazini of Italy titled “A New Gemstone of the Feldspar Family”, published in: Zertschrist Der Deutschen Gemologischen Gesellschaft, Vol.33/3, 4 December 1984.
- GIA Alumni Association’s publication, IN FOCUS, Winter 1985/86, featured, “Focus on Campbell Bridges”.
- Mr. Bridges was invited by the International Colored Gemstone Association (ICA) to act as Chairman of his panel, which included Dr. E. Gubelin, Mr. Goerlitz, and others. Mr. Bridges also made the presentation speech on, “Origin of Gemstones” at the 1987 ICA Congress in Bangkok, Thailand.
- Wrote article, “Rock of Ages”, for Kenya Airways in-flight magazine, Msafiri, Jan. 1988.
- In 1988 Mr. Bridges compiled a brochure to educate the public on Tsavorite that is published in Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Spanish and Thai.
- In 1989 Mr. Bridges was invited by the GIA to be a Featured Speaker at their second International Gemological Symposium, June 20-24, 1991. His lecture, “Colored Stone Occurrences in Africa”, is available on audiocassette No.91GIA-23, 1991 Symposium at the GIA and an abstract of his lecture is published on page 69 of: The Proceedings of the International Gemological Symposium, 1991.
- In 1991 Mr. Bridges acted as guide and advisor, in Kenya, to National Geographic’s correspondent/photographer for the lead article, “Rubies and Sapphires”, published in National Geographic Vol.180, No.4, October 1991.
- May 26, 1994, Mr. Bridges lectured for the Washington DC Chapter of the GIA Alumni Association. His subject was “Tsavorite Mining”, accompanied by photos of Mr. Bridges’ jewellery designs featuring Tsavorite.
- Nov.16, 1994, Mr. Bridges was invited to participate in the Distinguished Visitor Series of The Gem and Mineral Council – National History Museum of Los Angeles County. Mr. Bridges’ lecture was “The Gemstone Resources of East Africa”.
- In October 1995, Mr. Bridges spoke for the Richmond Rotary Club, Richmond, Virginia – subject “Tsavorite of Kenya”.
- In Montreal, Canada, May 4-6 1998, Mr. Bridges was a guest speaker at the Global Mining Investment Opportunities Symposium, which was organized by the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (M.I.G.A.) of the World Bank. At this symposium Mr. Bridges represented the private sector of the mining industry in Kenya at the request of the Kenyan Government.
- Mr. Bridges was invited by Dr. Peter Keller, Director of the Bowers Museum of Santa Ana, California, to deliver a talk to The California Club in Los Angeles, California in Nov. 1998. The topic was: “Gemstone Exploration in East Africa”.
- In London, England, October 1999, Mr. Bridges gave a lecture on, “Tsavorite and Other Gems of East Africa – the qualities of commercial gemstones”, to the Gemological Association and Gem Testing Laboratory of Great Britain.
- In Edinburgh, Scotland, November 1999, Mr. Bridges gave a lecture on “Gems of the Mozambique Belt – the New Generation of Precious Gemstones”, to the Gemological Association of Scotland, Edinburgh Chapter.
- In Washington D.C., USA, January 2000, Mr. Bridges was honored as the “Millennium Speaker” at the Washington D.C. Chapter GIA Alumni Association. His topic was “Tsavorite and the New Era of East African Gems and Minerals”.
- Mr. Bridges was invited by the director of GIA Thailand to be a featured speaker at GIA GemFest Leadership Presentations at Bangkok Gems and Jewelry Fair on 14 September 2000. His topic was titled, “Tsavorite, Tanzanite and Ruby from Field to Marketplace”.
- 9 February 2002, Tucson, Arizona, Mr. Bridges was an honored guest and speaker at the Indian Diamond & Colorstone Association, Inc. (IDCA) Reception
- Mr. Bridges was invited by the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show committee to be their featured speaker at the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show, February 13-17, 2002. The theme of their show and the lecture was: “Gems and Minerals of Africa.” Lecture and video presentation was on February 13, 2002, Tucson Conference Center, Tucson, Arizona.
- Prof. Didier Giard, President of the Association Francaise De Gemmologie invited Mr. Bridges to give a presentation on “Tsavorite, the Green Garnet”, at Les VIIIes Rendez-Vous Gemmologiques de Paris in collaboration with the Xe Conference Europeenne des Pierres Precieuses in Paris, France, March 12, 2007. Mr. Bridges’ address included a lecture followed by a DVD presentation at the French Senat. Mr. Bridges was awarded a medal for his contribution by the Senat.
- ICA (International Colored Gemstone Association) Convention – ICA members had their Convention in Dubai first week of May 2007 and continued on to Kenya to view gemstone mines. Mr. Bridges conducted a Mine Tour and Lecture on May 12, 2007 at Bridges Exploration Ltd.’s Scorpion Mine Camp in Taita/Taveta District.
At this Conference, Mr. Bridges was brought up to date on the latest research regard- ing the development of CVD (Chemical Vapor Deposition) Diamonds.
May 14th, 2007, Mr. Bridges was requested by Kenya’s ICA Representative to give a DVD presentation to the ICA Convention held at the Grand Regency Hotel, Nairobi, Kenya.
- In 1967, Mr. Bridges was the first to bring blue zoisite to the United States for identification by the GIA in New York. Tiffany and Company followed with a major promotion on this new gemstone and named it, “Tanzanite”.
- Mr. Bridges discovered Tsavorite, green grossular garnet, in Tanzania, in 1967, and in Kenya in 1970.
- Mr. Bridges was in Tanzania at the time of the discovery of Tanzanite and consulted for many of the Tanzanite miners. When Tiffany and Company took over the Tanzanite production, Mr. Bridges was engaged as their consultant by Mr. Henry B. Platt, president of Tiffany and Company.
- Mr. Bridges was mentioned and appeared in a 1969 Life magazine article entitled, “Tanzanite in Tanzania”.
- On the strength of Tsavorite production from Mr. Bridges mine in Kenya, Tiffany and Company did a promotion on Tsavorite in September/October 1974.
- Mr. Bridges was exposed to the geology of Africa at an early age. His father, Dr. R.J. Bridges, was the chief geologist for one of the world’s largest mining groups; The Central Mining and Investment Corporation, U.K. and did his D.Sc. thesis on the ultramafic complex in what was then Tanganyika.
- Consultant Geologist
- Mining: Tsavorite, Tanzanite, Tourmaline, and Ruby in the Taita/Taveta District of Kenya.
- Gem Dealer for all stones produced in Africa
- jewellery Designer
- Composer of Songs and Lyrics